What's new
  • Thank you for your input for the last few days regarding the list of exchanges you want to see DSTRA in.
    These are our targets for fundraising going forward. Learn more

Multiple MN on one machine and one ip

chipr

DSTRA Moderator
Staff member
Good question.

Is it even possible to run only one (1) MN on the same system that is your desktop, and not an outside paid server/VPS server, over your public IP consistently without having it affected by other memory or calculating functions (ie, using Photoshop occasionally, surfing the web, listening to music or watching YouTube, creating a WORD and or text document; several of those tasks simultaneously while also having 1-3 qt-wallets running as well)?

twthmoses

Staff member
Hi,

Is it possible to run two MN on the same machine on the same public ip ? Any guides on this?
Yes it is. And it’s not even difficult. I run three DSTRA MN (one of my own and two shared) on the same IP. The same device runs many other MN’s and multi of them too.

Fundamental it is not really beneficial for the overall system robustness, in this case DSTRA. I am divided in my own mind about it, but apparently my love for more coins wins every time. :unsure:

Give me a little time I’ll write up something for you...

twthmoses

Staff member
Good question.

Is it even possible to run only one (1) MN on the same system that is your desktop, and not an outside paid server/VPS server, over your public IP consistently without having it affected by other memory or calculating functions (ie, using Photoshop occasionally, surfing the web, listening to music or watching YouTube, creating a WORD and or text document; several of those tasks simultaneously while also having 1-3 qt-wallets running as well)?
I don’t run MN’s on working systems, e.g. a PC I work on. So I could not really say. But MN doesn’t use much more system resources than normal wallet; - after all it’s the same wallet/program. However I do run, often, several wallets in the background of a PC I work on. Works fine. It is the process of updating wallets that drains system resources. Once up to date most wallets are quite reasonable on system resources. Try example loading 5-10 wallets that are not up to date, at the same time :) now that will give you gray hair :)

plpatel

Good question.

I guess, this mostly depends on your PC configuration with how much of ram is in spare , while running multiple qt wallets and simultaneously working on ram hungry applications.

twthmoses

Staff member
I have read somthing don't remember where but it could be that "the network" would block those MN from the same ip.
-> Running multiple DSTRA masternodes using one IP https://forum.dstra.io/threads/running-multiple-dstra-masternodes-using-one-ip.1502/#post-28038
No blocking at all. Never seen it. Doing it right now, three or more MN on each, using one IP, on DSTRA, GRVS, ORL, XMN and SAGA and on two coin I might shut down very soon as they seem dead XTRAW and WRR. 27 MN's on 7 coins, 27 installations, using one PC and one IP. Add to that a dusin coins as MN's I run no more. Never ever had any kind of block with any coin. Works perfectly - and why would it not? What is the problem with running two MN of the same coin on the same ip?