What's new
  • Thank you for your input for the last few days regarding the list of exchanges you want to see DSTRA in.
    These are our targets for fundraising going forward. Learn more

How are people liking their masternodes so far?

PzYcO

Looking for a general consensus of those who have masternodes how they think they are going so far?

Is there anybody out there with more than one masternode or enough collateral for more than one?

If anybody needs help setting up their masternode, I can help in many ways. Windows is cake. Linux/unbuntu are a bit harder but are pretty easy too.

If anybody is running a masternode or multiple, I recommend using VPS and AWS instances. Use VPS providers to run each masternode daemons(Hot Wallets), and if you have more than one you will need a unique IP for each masternode. Then use Amazon Free Tier AWS to run your ColdWallet with your MN conf file set up. Ive run 8 masternodes of one coin via VPS/AWS in one wallet for less than 15$/mo before :)

Feel free to reach out to me here or on discord for help!

twthmoses

Staff member
I’m running two dstra masternodes. One on my own and another shared 50/50.

While I’m fundamental against running more than one MN of the same coin on the same computer – since it’s counterproductive to the whole MN principle, - I’m also a crypto hungry bastard, whose principle only last till enough for a next MN :)

As said I’m running two dstra masternodes on one windows computer, using only one IP. Its quite possible, you just run multi sessions of the wallet.

Meliodas

As You Think, You Shall Become!
Staff member
I’m running two dstra masternodes. One on my own and another shared 50/50.

While I’m fundamental against running more than one MN of the same coin on the same computer – since it’s counterproductive to the whole MN principle, - I’m also a crypto hungry bastard, whose principle only last till enough for a next MN :)

As said I’m running two dstra masternodes on one windows computer, using only one IP. Its quite possible, you just run multi sessions of the wallet.
This sounds interesting, can you explain more about this?

twthmoses

Staff member
This sounds interesting, can you explain more about this?
Well you have your DSTRA2 folder in %AppData% , that would be your DSTRA2 folder in C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming. When you start dstra-qt.exe it will go for this folder default.

Create another folder here, say DSTRA2-MN02.

Start dstra-qt.exe with -datadir=%AppData%\DSTRA2-MN02, it will now create a separate blockchain / wallet in this folder, and you will be able to run another dstra wallet, at the same time as your “normal” runs. If you want another wallet (wallet.dat) name for this session, you can additional start it with ex. -wallet=DSTRA2-MN02.dat

All this will work great for normal staking. No problem. However once you make a MN out of the new session, it will give you an error, saying the port is occupied (port 5269), which it is by the other wallet session you got running. The trick is to start the session with another port, say –port=5268 (anyone you want), cause you don’t need this port. Once the wallet starts up, MN takes over and runs it traffic on the MN port 5269.

I recommend making a .bat file like this ;

dstra-qt.exe -datadir=%AppData%\DSTRA2-MN02-wallet=DSTRA2-MN02.dat -port=5268

PzYcO

are you sure that works properly TWTHMoses? I've had many masternode coins in the past and in order to run multiple masternodes you need a standalone different ip for each one..

twthmoses

Staff member
are you sure that works properly TWTHMoses? I've had many masternode coins in the past and in order to run multiple masternodes you need a standalone different ip for each one..
Well that’s the fundamental idea behind masternodes. You got these beacons (MN) spread out around the world, running 24/7, helping keeping the network strong, tamper resistance and insures various clients, or worse large parts, don’t drift of on wrong blockchains. These MN’s should of course not be located on the same IP and device, cause if something happens to the IP (ISP) or the device, it takes many MN’s down at the same time. Now that’s the basic idea. I subscript to it, and actually I am a bit troubled in mind,doing it different. It is not really good – but I do it anyway!

I run MN’s for four different coins, on the same device. No problem in that, they are different coins. But for two of the coins, DSTRA being one, I run more than one MN on the same device. One DSTRA is a share MN, but it’s still a MN.

The problem here is of course if my device goes down, it takes two DSTRA MN with it down. Right now we got 28 DSTRA MN online, so that’s 7% of “beacons” in on go. Surely no problem, and there are plenty of nodes around too, to pick up. So nothing really happens. But who is to say that the rest 26 is also located on one device, we don’t really know! Now that could be a problem.

MN’s, while many think of them so, is not just nice passive constant income, they actually serve a purpose. A little MN inflation has occurred in the crypto game the last year, I know, but the idea behind a MN is valid enough. It’s not that a blockchain cannot run without a MN, even DSTRA can. Enough people turn on their wallet every now and then or run it 24/7. It can run itself.

As for my two DSTRA MN, yes they run great, both of them, on one device, using one IP. The last 24 hours one gave 55 rewards of 0.375 dstra = 20.625 dstra. The other gave 58 reward of 0.375 dstra = 21.75 dstra. Calculated it should give about 19.29 a day. Could probably be that one or more of the 28 MN lose connection every now and then, and misses its payout.

Would it be better to create the mn on a vps or on my mac following the instructions on the link provided? Currently I am running my wallet 24/7 and am getting decent staking amounts. Just wanting info to get ready for when I obtain enough for a mn.

w2code

Would it be better to create the mn on a vps or on my mac following the instructions on the link provided? Currently I am running my wallet 24/7 and am getting decent staking amounts. Just wanting info to get ready for when I obtain enough for a mn.
You always should get better results by running Masternodes or even staking under a VPS. I managed to setup my Masternode under a Linux distribution by following guides that have a similar configuration as DSTRA. Most likely, you should be able to achieve the same!